Guest Blogger: Mary Lou Mennona

Practice What You Preach Submitted By: Mary Lou Mennona, support group leader for Kingsport, Tennessee, and contact for Treasurecoast...

Practice What You Preach

Submitted By: Mary Lou Mennona, support group leader for Kingsport, Tennessee, and contact for Treasurecoast, Florida

Every time someone calls me regarding RLS, one of the things I always tell them that I have learned from the RLS Foundation research is: Stay away from alcohol, caffeine and sugar after 6 pm and especially before bed. Having these things will make RLS worse.*

So, [we] went on a vacation cruise recently and I got caught up in the fun of the evening. At dinner I shared a glass of wine with others – the one and only I had – I usually don’t drink at all, and then had a luscious, sweet dessert because everything on the ship menu looked so good!

I completely forgot to practice what I preached to others about these things being a “no-no” to RLS victims, and sure enough, I had a miserable night even WITH taking my meds... In fact, it ran right into the next day as we tried to watch a matinee movie on the ship. I usually don’t need my meds during the day, but I was so jumpy and felt like a wound-up spring ready to explode, that I knew I bothered the people near me, so I left the theater and walked and took AN EXTRA med.

Not only that, but I felt horrible all over. Even my hair was tingling and I just didn’t want to do anything! Depression can set in. My nerves throughout my body were vibrating all over and would not rest. Be careful! What the Foundation teaches us through all the research is so true!

I couldn’t believe that I had ignored my own advice! I never have this kind of trouble because I always keep a close eye on what I eat, my exercises, etc.

For those with RLS, don’t ever forget the debilitating effects of sugar, alcohol and/or caffeine, and learn from the information in [the Foundation's] wonderful quarterly newsletter, NightWalkers!

* For more information on what may exacerbate RLS symptoms, read our RLS Triggers publication in the Member Portal of our website.

Had a similar experience? Share it with us on our Facebook page or on the Foundation's discussion board. You are not alone!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Flickr Images