Spotlight: Linda Tuomaala and Kathleen Nolan

Two New Support Group Leaders in Michigan The RLS Foundation is pleased to welcome Linda Tuomaala as the new support group leader in O...

Two New Support Group Leaders in Michigan

The RLS Foundation is pleased to welcome Linda Tuomaala as the new support group leader in Oakland County, and Kathleen Nolan as the new support group leader in Ann Arbor. Thank you both, and welcome!

Linda Tuomaala (Oakland County, Michigan)

RLS has been a part of my life for over 30 years. While seeing a neurologist years ago, I mentioned the difficulty sleeping due to the strange sensations in my legs and their jerking at night. I learned that these symptoms had names: RLS and PLMD. I found there was little information about it and a lack of awareness by people in general. When in social situations, I would ask others if they experienced this. None had and many had never heard of it. There was definitely a need to expand awareness of what RLS and PLMD are and how they affect a person's life.

After retiring from 27 years of teaching, I found that I had more time to volunteer, but needed something that I felt a connection to. From the RLS Foundation Facebook page, I learned there were support groups, but none in Michigan. (There are now two there.) This was a perfect fit. My purpose was two-fold. One, holding support group meetings that would bring people together to share information. In the process I would learn from them, too. Secondly, by being involved with the RLS Foundation, I would learn about current research.

Progress in dealing with RLS and PLMD happens when both patient and doctor have available to them the most current information. As an RLS Foundation volunteer support group leader, I will do what I can to facilitate that process. Already from the few meetings that my group has held, I have learned how helpful it is to meet, share information and support one another.

Kathleen Nolan (Ann Arbor, Michigan)

I decided to become a support leader because there were no meetings in Michigan, and I felt it was important to have group support to discuss RLS symptoms and management. It is also a syndrome that is very misunderstood and many think it is not real. My hope is that with a group in southeast Michigan, both knowledge and management can be shared.

Stay up to date with all upcoming RLS Foundation support group meetings on our website or Facebook page. All volunteer support group leaders and contacts are available via phone or email to provide support. Search by city or state to find one near you!

Interested in becoming a volunteer RLS Foundation support group leader? Visit our website to learn more about the role and how to apply!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Flickr Images