Guest Blogger: Jim Healey, Part 2

RLS: A Real Lousy Syndrome, Part 2 A Poem by Jim Healey Two months ago, I wrote a poem About my battle with RLS. I emphasized my...

RLS: A Real Lousy Syndrome, Part 2

A Poem by Jim Healey

Two months ago, I wrote a poem

About my battle with RLS.

I emphasized my lost sleep,

But now that loss is much less.


Things have changed a lot since then,

At shows, I'm not standing in the back.

On airplanes now, I can stay in my seat,

And I sleep when I hit the sack.


I've read for years that alcohol's no good

For people with our affliction.

Could two drinks a day make any difference at all?

My answer was, "no," with conviction.


But I had to find out, so I gave up the booze.

I hoped this experiment would fail.

But I'm here to tell you, it's a rousing success,

My symptoms are on the pale.


My meds are the same with a bit lower dose,

But the pains are fewer and weaker.

I miss my Old Fashioneds, but I found a fake beer

That tastes okay and it's cheaper.


My wife lets me drive more than before,

'Cause now my leg's not her foe.

You might say I traded booze for snooze,

Wish I'd done it four decades ago!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Flickr Images