Spotlight: Steven McCann

New Member Joins RLS Foundation Board of Directors We are pleased to welcome a new member to the RLS Foundation's Board of Direct...

New Member Joins RLS Foundation Board of Directors

We are pleased to welcome a new member to the RLS Foundation's Board of Directors, Steven McCann!

"Introducing Steve is my particular privilege, and the phrase that keeps coming to mind to describe him is the paradoxical ‘servant-leader,’" said Linda Secretan, RLS Foundation support group leader, fellow board member and head of the board's Governance and Nomination Committee. "Steve’s enthusiasm for whatever work lies before him hums like an undercurrent in his conversations. Now the RLS Foundation is the willing beneficiary of both his energy and professional experience."

Steve is a seasoned sales executive, specializing in new business development. Currently he is Director of Partnership Development at MECLABS Institute and Marketing Sherpa, and has been involved with Big Brothers/Big Sisters of America for eight years as both a Big Brother and as a member of the Board of Directors.

"I have been an early-onset 'patient,' experiencing RLS since childhood," Steve said. "And, as is common, it progressed with age. I am excited to be part of the RLS Foundation, [who provide support] in terms of education, awareness, action, and the path to a cure."

Steve was initially connected to the RLS Foundation ten years ago by our west Florida volunteer Ed Murfin, after calling him to find additional support for dealing with his RLS. According to Steve, Ed is "a great example of the giving, helping, supportive attitude displayed by this Foundation."

After staying in touch for a number of years, Ed then introduced Steve to the current RLS Foundation Executive Director, Karla Dzienkowski, RN, BSN. After seeing his passion for the cause and his leadership experience, Karla suggested that Steve consider getting involved with the organization's mission at a higher level - with the Board of Directors.

"I had no idea that helping him deal with his terrible RLS symptoms would result in him becoming a young business man on the Board of Directors of the RLS Foundation," Ed said. "Though I never met him personally, I recognized him as a brilliant man in the business world who was being caught in a strangle-hold by his RLS. I helped him win some battles and suffered with him through some lost battles, all over the telephone or email... Imagine my thrill when Linda Secretan informed me that she had personally nominated Steve as the newest member of the Board of Directors and credited me for his being there."

Steve hopes that his personal experiences with RLS can help bring additional insight to the board.

"[After] all those years of sleepless nights, I am most familiar with this condition and feel that I have at least my experience to offer someone else," Steve said. "I intend to share the awareness message, and use my passion on this subject to reach others and help the quality of life of today's sufferer to improve. With knowledge can come an improved life. I am an example of this. I look forward to involvement that makes a positive difference."

Welcome to the team, Steve!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Flickr Images